“Wabash River” oil on canvas in the permanent collections of the Art Museum of Greater Lafayette is by Leo A. Neufeld a native of Milwaukee and resident of Indiana from 1990 to 1994.
Temple Israel of Gary on Adams Street, built in 1917 was designed by architect David Saul Klafter of Chicago; a protégé of Daniel Burnham. The structure was pulled down in 1981 to make way for the city new Genesis convention center. The corner stones were salvaged and transplanted to the congregation’s Miller Beach campus.
Leopold New, (1843-1912) Civil War Veteran Co. G 18th Regiment Indiana Calvary is interred in Rodef Sholem Cemetery in Wabash, Indiana. As is Bernard Bloom (1818-1919) a GAR veteran from 1863-1865.
“The House of the Deaf Woman and the Belfry at Eragny” is an 1886 painting at the Indianapolis Museum of Art by the artist Camille Pissarro (1830-1903) born in St. Thomas Danish West Indies and son of merchant Abraham Gabriel Pissaro.
Dr. Reuben Leon Kahn (1887-1979) a native of Lithuania and 1909 graduated of Valparaiso University (where he resided from 1907-1911) developed a diagnostic test for syphilis in 1923 that was accepted around the world.
“Pagent” by author Kathryn Lasky is a juvenile fiction set in Indiana at a stuffy girls’ school. A character is a Jewish girl who supports Catholic Kennedy for President. Lasky a native of suburban Indianapolis is a resident of Cambridge, Massachusetts.
Milton Steinberg, (1903-1995) Indianapolis rabbi at Beth El Zedek 1927-1933 moved on to the Park Avenue Synagogue in New York City. He authored “Basic Judaism” published in 1947 that is a standard text as an introduction to Judaism.
The late Alvina Cohen (1912-1988) and Saul Cohen (1914-2006) of Miller Beach donated their Pino Conte sculpture “Woman in the Sun” to the Indiana University Northwest campus (Gary) in 1980. The Italian bronze rests in the entrance gardens to Raintree Hall.
Seymour Fleishman, a 1920 Brooklyn native is a children’s author and illustrator wrote “Where’s Kit” in 1962 about a lost kitten after his family vacationed in the Indiana Dunes. His son, Paul Fleishman on that family vacation to the dunes has also become a prolific children’s author.
Samuel Bamberger (1846-1926) The German born and only Jewish Governor of Utah lived in Indianapolis and in Muncie, Indiana during the Civil War era. He was elected in 1916.
Cary Shafer a 1957 native of Fort Wayne, a noted stone sculptor added the finishing gargoyles of the National Cathedral in Washington, D.C. from 1985-1989 and also did restoration work at the White House at the same time.
Misch Kohn (1916-2003) a native of Kokomo pushed social agendas with his graphic arts and printmaking. “Misch Kohn: Beyond the Tradition,” is a definitive text on his work published in 1988 by The Monterey Museum of Art. Jo Farb Hernandez, a neice of the artist is the author
Sidney Sheldon (1917-2007) considered the best selling novelist in the world, as a child lived in Hammond, Gary and Indiana Harbor with his parents Otto and Natalie (Marcus) Sheldon.
Colonel Richard Leiber, (born Germany, 1869-1944) is considered the Father of the Indiana State Parks.
Jules Stein, MD. (1896-1981) Pianist, and founder of the Music Corporation of America MCA in 1924, instrumental in the establishment of the National Eye Institute and founder of the Research to Prevent Blindness Foundation in 1960 and also the Jules Stein Eye Institute was a native to South Bend.
The Nirdlinger Residence, was a stop on the underground railroad in Fort Wayne. The family had also hosted Achdut V’Shalom Congregation here in 1848.
The YWCA in Lafayette is housed in the former residence of Levi and Rachael Oppenheimer. A Queen Anne style home built around 1860 at 604 North 6th Street.
David Lee Roth (b.1954) a rock singer formerly of the group Van Halen and Joshua Bell (b.1967) renowned violinist are both natives of Bloomington, Indiana.
Rose Gutterman Zar’s (1922-2002) autobiography “In The Mouth of the Wolf” in 1983 received the Sydney Taylor Award Association of Jewish Libraries.
Indiana has hosted three Nobel Prize recipients Dr. Herbert Brown of Lafayette (1912-2004) for Chemistry in 1979; Dr. Paul Samuelson (b.1912 in Gary) for Economics in 1970 and Dr. Joseph E. Stiglitz (b. 1943 in Gary) for Economics in 2001.
June Claire Wayne (b. 1918) a native of Chicago lived in her youth in Gary, Indiana. A Lithographer, her works are represented in museums around the world. Harry N. Abrams published “The Art of June Wayne” in 1969.
“An Orphan in History: Retrieving a Jewish Legacy” by the late author Paul Cowan includes notes on his grandmother Lena Strauss Speigel who had lived in Ligonier before her banking family moved to Chicago and financed the building of the Chrysler building in New York City and three Ambassador Hotels.
The 1953 novel “Rock of Refuge” by Betty S. Tigay is about early Jewish life in Hammond, Indiana.
The artist, Marguerite Zorach, who painted the mural “Haymaking” located at 125 West Broadway Street in Monticello, is also the wife of William Zorach Finkelstein AKA William Zorach.
The Auburn Automobile Company Administration Building, designed by Kendalville native and Fort Wayne Architect A.M. Strauss, was added to the National Registry of Historic Places in 1978.
Saloman Neuman Esq, originally of Noblesville wrote the “Pact of Paris” (The Kellog-Briand Treaty) condemning “recourse to war for the solution of international controversies. The Treaty won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1926.
The former Block Department Store building in Indianapolis, erected in 1910, is listed on the National Registry. The Company was founded by William H. Block originally of Kokomo.
Emil Armin (1883-1971) a Rumanian born artist lived in Chesterton, Indiana. J.Z. Jacobsen published a book in 1929 “Thirty-five Saints and Emil Armin” covering many radical artists from the Art Institute of Chicago, several who maintained cottages in the Indiana Dunes. His papers are in the Smithsonian Collections.
Julian Morgenstern was born in St. Francisville, Illinois, March 18, 1881, the son of Samuel and Hannah Morgenstern. During his childhood he lived in Vincennes, Indiana, Garden City, Kansas, and Cincinnati, Ohio and he received his education in the public schools of these cities. He received a B.A. Degree from the University of Cincinnati in 1901 and was ordained as Rabbi at the Hebrew Union College (H.U.C.) in 1902.
After ordination he carried on graduate work in Semitic languages at the Universities of Berlin and Heidelberg and in 1904 received the degree of Ph.D. from the latter institution. From 1904 to 1907 he served as Rabbi of Congregation Ahaveth Achim in Lafayette, Indiana. In 1907 Morgenstern was called back to Hebrew Union College as Instructor in Bible and Semitic languages. He was steadily promoted, first to the rank of Associate Professor in 1910, and then to Professor in 1913. In 1921 he was appointed Acting President and in 1922 President of Hebrew Union College. He was the first native-born American and alumnus of Hebrew Union College to become its president.
Attica Indiana in Fountain County had a Jewish population of 138 Jewish residents in 1878. 51 Jewish residents in 1927; 33 Jewish residents in 1919; 41 Jewish residents in 1937. The community sustained the B’nai Jerhurun congregation.
Isadore E. Levine, (1897-1963) a native of Michigan City was Indiana’s 85th Supreme Court Justice and the first Jewish justice when appointed by Governor George S. Craig in January 1955.
IJHS Member Juell Kadet executive Vice President of Rogers & Holland Jewelers was inducted to the Jewelers Hall of Fame in 1994.
The Republic (newspaper) Building constructed in 1971 in Columbus, Indiana is by noted Chicago born architect Myron Goldsmith 1918-1996.
Henrietta Moritz a native of Michigan City married the violinist Misha Mishakoff concertmaster of the Detroit Symphony Orchestra
The Hoosier Salon, moved to the William H. Block department store in Indianapolis in 1942.
Randolph S. Voller, a former resident of Valparaiso, became Mayor of Pittsboro, North Carolina, in 2005. Randy is the grandson of Harry Danning (1911-2004), Harry the Horse All Star Baseball Player for the New York Giants 1932-1942. Harry, born in Los Angeles, came to live in Valparaiso in 1976 and resided here longer than anywhere, and with his daughter and grandchildren.
Judge Moses Leopold (1876-1972) served as prosecutor of Rensselaer county c: 1922-26 and Judge c: 1930.
Rabbi Bernard J. Bamberger (1904-1980) served Temple Israel of Lafayette (1929-1944) before heading Shaary Tefila in New York City till 1970.
Comedian David Steinberg (1942) a native of Winnipeg, Canada was a religious schoolteacher at Temple Beth El in Gary, Indiana while working at Chicago’s Second City in the mid 1960s.
The U.S. Postal service issues a series on four American scientists in March. One of these Linus Carl Pauling (1901-1994) peace activist, author and educator also won two undivided Nobel Prizes. He made an address at Temple Israel in Miller Beach in 1960.
Goshen Indana plated in 1831 hosted the Shearith Israel (Sharis Israel) Congregation from 1899-1932, a synagogue and a Jewish Ladies Aid Society. There were 125 Jewish residents in 1878; 135 in 1905 and 53 in 1937.
William Brady settled in Richmond, Indiana in 1834, six years after the arrival of the National Road, and set up a harness and saddle repair shop.
Mt Hope Cemetery in Peru, Indiana has a section with seventy-one Jewish graves.
Mrs. Augusta (nee Nusbaum) Rosenwald (1868-1919) met her future husband Julius Rosenwald, (1862-1932) later the chairman of Sears and Roebuck, while he was making a stop in LaPorte, Indiana. Augusta, a native New Yorker, spent a large part of her childhood with her aunt Mrs. Joseph Stonehill and attended the public schools there. Augusta and Julius were married in 1891. In time their name would become synonymous with Sears & Roebuck and with their generous philanthropies. The Rosenwald’s donated millions to support the education of Africian Americans. The family made their home in Highland Park, Illinios and they were also among the earliest supporters of the movement to save the Indiana Dunes, and contributed towards the founding of the Indiana Dunes State Park c: 1925.
On June 27, 1921 a marriage license was taken out in Crown Point, Indiana by Edgar B. Stern of New Orleans and Mrs. Edith R. Sulzberger, daughter of Sears and Roebuck President, Julius Rosenwald of Chicago. The New York Times ran news of the license application the next day.
The late Leonard Bernstein (1918-1990) composer, pianist, author and the conductor of the New York Philharmonic was a fellow of the Institute of Advance Studies at Indiana University Bloomington.
Rabbi David Horwitz formerly of Temple Beth of Hammond (1972-1983) officiated at U.S. Astronaut Judith Resnick’s memorial service in 1986, and Rabbi Harold L. Robinson formerly of Temple Israel of Gary (1974-1977) officiated at Israeli Astronaut Ilan Ramon’s memorial in 2003.
Sydney Pollack (1934-2008) a native of Lafayette, who grew up in South Bend; Hollywood director of films “The Way We Were” 1973; Absence of Malice, 1981; Out of Africa, 1985; Eyes Wide Shut and other motion pictures and appeared in the sitcom “Will & Grace” was also an IJHS Honorary Board Nominee.
Sophie Lane in Hammond is named for Sophie Lipshutz who helped tutor the developer of this Hammond neighborhood.
The Wabash River valley had been secured in 1773 by the colonial firm, the Illinois and Wabash Land Company in which eight Jewish fur traders were important shareholders. Isaac Levy of the fur trading firm Trent Franks and Levy was known to be in Fort Wayne as early as 1764. Forty years earlier, in 1724 the French burned at the stake at least two Jewish traders one the north bank of the Ohio River and the other 45 miles south of the present city of Vincennes. They numbered among those traders apprehended after Governor Bienville of Louisiana whom was instructed to order all Jews to leave his province. In spite of the three month warning to leave many were rounded up and marched to Ft. Chartres on the Illinois side of the Mississippi River
Rear Admiral Harold L. Robinson served Temple Israel of Gary, Indiana 1974-1977 before serving congregations in Cape Cod and Shreveport. His son Rabbi Yair Dan Robinson born in Crown Point, Indiana in 1977 as an adult served Muncie’s congregation Temple Beth El.
American journalist and radio personality Daniel Shore, often called upon his aunt Nettie Gardner Kaplan in the Robertsdale neighborhood of Whiting, Indiana.
David Zipes, M.D. In 1988 became the first pediatric hospitalist in Indiana. Hospitalist are physicians whose primary focus is the general medical care of hospitalized patients. He is a 1985 graduate of Indianapolis’ North Central High School. Dr. Zipes completed both his BA and medical degree from Indiana University School of Medicine. He completed his residency in pediatrics at Children’s Hospital Medicine Center in Cincinnati, Ohio. The Society of Hospital Medicine recently in 2008 bestowed its highest award for Outstanding Service in Hospital Medicine, to David Zipes, MD, director of pediatric hospitalist service at Peyton Manning Children’s Hospital in Indianapolis.